Welcome to week one of my brand new series of posts to welcome in the Summer; Summer Sun-day. There’s nothing more relaxing on a Summer’s evening than enjoying a nice cold glass of wine with friends…but what about when you put your glass down? These fab coasters will make sure you always know which is your glass. Better still they are incredibly quick to make and require very little fabric.
If you would like to make your own, you will need:
- 20cm Contrasting Ribbon/Trim
- Wine glass
- Matching or contrasting thread (if you’re less confident, go with a similar colour thread)
- Tape measure
- Tailors Chalk (or pencil)
- Iron and ironing board
- Sewing machine
- First of all, you’ll need to work out how bigger circles to cut. The bottom of my glass measured 7cm across, so I cut my circles so they were 10cm across, giving me room for a seam allowance, and enough space to slide the coaster on and off the glass.
- Cut out 4 x 10cm circles from your fabric and 1 from your wadding
- Fold two of your circles in half and press along the crease
- If you want to make them a little more special, add a piece of ribbon around 1-2mm from the crease and stitch on with two lines of stitches (see main image)
- Place a circle pattern side down on your work surface, then layer on your wadding, another circle right side up then your two half circles right sides down; pin in place (see bottom right image)
- Stitch around your coaster 5mm from the edge
- Turn your coaster the right way and you’re all done
- For an extra touch, you could always sew on buttons, flowers or sequins
If you’re making a set, I’d recommend making them in contrasting fabrics so you know whose coaster is whose…enjoy Summer!
Like what you see? Sign up for more inspiration here