For Week 7 of the Summer Sun-day Series (I know, how did we reach Week 7 so quickly) I’ve decided to give your sewing machines a break and treat you to another baking delight, Lemon Curd Fairy Cakes. Even if the sun doesn’t shine (and let’s face it, with a global following, I never can tell!) these little fairy cakes are guaranteed to make you smile, with their surprise sunshine yellow lemon curd filling.
Ingredients (for 12 cakes)
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 150g self raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Lemon curd
- Mixing bowl
- Metal dessert spoon (+ 1 additional to help you spoon the mixture into the cases)
- Measuring jug (or a large mug will be fine!)
- Paper cases (or silicone for the environmentally conscious!)
- 12 hole cake tin
- Cooling rack
- In a mixing bowl, cream softened butter and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy (to cream the two, use a metal spoon and press and drag the mixture against the side of the bowl…you’ll hear the sugar crunching)
- Add the flour to the bowl
- In a jug, whisk the milk and eggs together
- Add to the mixing bowl and combine gently in a figure of 8 movement until smooth (be careful not to overwork the flour by stirring to vigorously)
- Spoon half the mixture into paper cases
- Add a teaspoon of lemon curd to the middle of each paper case on top of the cake batter you have already added
- Spoon the rest of your cake batter into your paper cases to cover the lemon curd, being careful not to disturb it (remember, it’s a surprise filling!)
- Bake in the oven (Gas Mark 5/200 degrees Celsius) for 20-25 minutes (when you check your cakes are ready press the top gently…if it springs back, it’s cooked)
- Leave to cook on the rack
If you like these, you’ll love my Easy Iced Cupcake recipe – head on over to the post to find out more.
Are you enjoying the Summer Sun-day Series? If so, don’t forget you can download your free Passport Cover Tutorial here!
Next week, we’ll be sticking with baking, with a Wimbledon themed bake!
Like what you see? Sign up for more inspiration here