I have a confession to make – I think nothing of eating Nutella straight out of the jar with a spoon…OK, OK, I even have my own secret jar that only I can eat hidden away behind canned food stacked two high so there is no chance of it being found – is that too honest?
It’ll be therefore no surprise that this week’s Choctober recipe is one of my personal favourites both to make and eat. If you’ve made my Easy Iced Cupcakes, you’ll be pleased to know the basic cupcake recipe is the same, only instead of icing, these are smothered in lashings of Nutella with chopped hazelnuts on top – the topping really is like a Ferrero Rocher!
Here’s how to make your own little bites of loveliness:
- 100g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 125g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 jar of Nutella (don’t worry, you won’t use a whole jar…unless you eat while you’re cooking!)
- 100g chopped hazelnuts
- Mixing bowl
- Metal dessert spoon (+ 1 additional to help you spoon the mixture into the cases)
- Measuring jug (or a large mug will be fine!)
- Paper cases (or silicone for the environmentally conscious!)
- 12 hole cake tin
- Cooling rack
- Food Processor or the chopping tool on a hand held blender
- Table knife/spatula for spreading
- In a mixing bowl, cream softened butter and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy (to cream the two, use a metal spoon and press and drag the mixture against the side of the bowl…you’ll hear the sugar crunching)
- Add the flour and cocoa powder to the bowl
- In a jug, whisk the milk and eggs together
- Add to the mixing bowl and combine gently in a figure of 8 movement until smooth (be careful not to overwork the flour by stirring to vigorously)
- Spoon the mixture into paper cases and bake in the oven (Gas Mark 5/200 degrees Celsius) for 20-25 minutes (when you check your cakes are ready press the top gently…if it springs back, it’s cooked)
- Leave to cook on the rack
- Meanwhile, chop your hazelnuts in your food processor or similar
- Once completely cooled, use a knife or small spatula to spread your Nutella generously over the top
- Sprinkle on your chopped hazelnuts so that they completely cover the top of your cake
If you like this idea, you may also like some of my other cupcake recipes. How about Lemon Curd Cupcakes with a surprise lemon curd centre (the clue is in the name)? Or my delicious Chocolate and Raspberry Cupcakes?
Next week we’re going super easy and completely decadent – I can’t wait to show you the finished product; I can guarantee you’ll want to make your own!
Like what you see? Sign up for more inspiration here