Welcome to Countdown to Christmas; in this series of posts between now and Christmas, I’ll be sharing lots of ideas of things to bake or make either as presents or to make your own Christmas really special. You’ll find a range of makes from Chocolate Orange Muffins to Mince Pies, Tree Decorations to Tote Bags.
This first make is taken from Delicious Magazine and is actually something I found and made last Christmas – it takes a good month to prepare so I’ve started early to give you time to make your own batch. It tasted absolutely amazing, a real taste of Christmas at its best, and went down a storm with the friends I gave a bottle to for Christmas. You’ll find the original article here. If you want to make your own batch, you’ll need:
- 250g fresh or frozen cranberries
- Pared zest of 2 oranges
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 litre vodka (the cheaper brands will be fine for this)
You’ll also need:
- A large Kilner jar (mine was 2 litre capacity)
- Muslin square
- Sterilising solution/Hot soapy water and an oven
- Bottles to store your vodka in (I got some gorgeous glass 200ml bottles with cork stoppers from eBay)
- Put the cranberries into a shallow dish and stab them with a fork, but don’t reduce to a mush
- Put them into a large Kilner jar with the strips of orange zest and the sugar
- Pour over the vodka, seal and leave somewhere dark for 2 weeks, shaking the jar periodically (about once a week), until the sugar has dissolved
- Strain the liquid through a muslin-lined sieve into a jug, decant into sterilised bottles, seal and label
That’s it! Just four ingredients and four easy steps! The article gives a How-To Guide to sterilising bottles – you can also buy sterilising solution from a number of places (eg shops that sell home brewing kits – this is what I used)
Top Tip Invest in the muslin – I didn’t have any and used a pair of tights (a new pair, I must add!) It worked but I think muslin would have been better as the holes are even smaller!
Just like the article in Delicious Magazine says, it really is a beautiful ruby red coloured vodka and tastes of Christmas – I can’t wait for this year’s batch to be ready!
Like what you see? Sign up for more inspiration here