Can you believe it is Christmas Day in 2 days? How did that creep up on us so quickly?
I’ve taken this week as leave from work so I’ve had lots of time for baking, making and putting the finishing touches to this year’s Christmas, although for the previous 3 years, I’ve worked right up until Christmas Eve and have been absolutely exhausted. If this feels like you, you’ll love my idea for Christmas Cake…all you need is a shop bought cake to decorate and 15 minutes!
- A shop bought Christmas cake – if you are reading this in the UK, Aldi make a beautiful fruit cake!
- A packet of ready roll white icing
- A packet of marzipan
- Jam (flavour of your choice but apricot works really well)
You’ll also need:
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Rolling pin
- Star cookie cutter
- Pastry brush (I like using a silicone one)
- Unwrap your cake and put it to one side ready to ice
- Dust your work surface with icing sugar
- Roll out your marzipan until it is large enough to cover your cake
- Brush a little warmed jam (hot but not boiling) over your cake
- Carefully lay your marzipan over your cake and trim off any excess
- Dust your work surface again and now repeat steps 3-5 with your white icing
- With your remaining icing, cut out star shapes with your cookie cutter and stick these to your cake with a little more jam
If you think your cake edge looks slightly less than professional, why not tie some festive ribbon around it?
I love decorating my Christmas cake – even if I don’t eat any on Christmas Day (in truth I’d much rather be eating my body weight in chocolate) I really look forward to a little slice of Christmas cake to take to work with me every day when I have to drag myself back to work – it’s perfect for the dark January days.
Like what you see? Sign up for more inspiration here