Do you struggle to walk up the bakery aisle in the supermarket without picking up a bag of fresh baked cookies…you know, the big bakery cookies that are slightly crunchy on the edges and lovely and gooey in the middle? You too? Oh good, it’s not just me then!
I found this recipe on the back of a squeezy tube of Carnation condensed milk…yes, a squeezy tube! I’m almost as excited as when I found you could but squeezy bottles of golden syrup a few years ago…both have totally upped my baking game!
The cookies really are just like the ones you buy in the supermarket…if anything when you see the ingredients, especially when you measure out almost a block of butter, you’ll realise just how terrible our cookie addiction is; but if you can put that shame to one side, you can make the most amazing treat – you absolutely won’t be able to stop at one cookie!
To make your own, you’ll need:
- 225g butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 170g tube of Carnation condensed milk
- 350g self raising flour
- 100g chocolate chips
You’ll also need:
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring scales
- Metal spoon
- Baking tray
- Baking parchment
- Cooling rack
- In a mixing bowl, cream softened butter and sugar in a bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy (to cream the two, use a metal spoon and press and drag the mixture against the side of the bowl…you’ll hear the sugar crunching)
- Add the condensed milk and stir until combined
- Sieve in the flour and fold in using a figure of eight movement
- Add your chocolate chips and mix in using the same figure of eight movement
- Roll walnut sized balls (I think mine were probably twice the size they should be) and put them on a lined baking tray – make sure you leave enough space between cookies
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius/Gas Mark 4 for 12-15 minutes
- Leave to set on a cooling rack when they’re removed from the oven
They are a bit soft and breakable when they first come out of the oven so leaving them to set will be key…the wait is worth it though, I promise!
If you like this post, you’ll love my recipe for homemade Peanut Butter Cups…they are very similar to the amazing Reeses’ version but perfect on a cold winter’s night when the last thing you want to do is go out on a mercy dash to the shop for them! Just like the chocolate chip bakery style cookies, they are made from store cupboard ingredients.
Like what you see? Sign up for more inspiration here