As I’m sat here writing about possibly my favourite top pattern for 2016, the Deer and Doe Datura, I’m wracking my brains about where I found out about it. I have a sneaking suspicion it was my faithful Instagram that introduced me to someone’s version of this beautiful top. I cannot tell you how excited I was when it arrived from France one Saturday morning.
The Datura pattern has two options, a triangular cut out neckline or a peter pan collar; naturally I chose view B (if you’ve seen my Thelma Dress review, you’ll know I love a Peter Pan collar). The pattern is made for adventurous beginners and is really quite simple to construct. There aren’t too many pattern pieces and it gives you the opportunity to practice inserting collars/including neckline detail and also adding button details. I’m also a big fan of the yoke detail and the buttons starting in the bottom bodice piece – it’s such a simple detail, yet it looks gorgeous!
I mixed up my fabrics a little for this make – My mum had given me a cat/fox print navy viscose offcut from some palazzo pants she made (fabric from Abakhan), which I used for the collar and bottom bodice pieces – if you’re very eagle eyed you’ll notice the foxes are side on. By contrast, the yoke pieces were cut from a stretchy white ponte with dimple detail. This was originally used to make my Simple Sleeveless Top but I managed to ruin it when I was ironing it. After spending weeks trying to work out how I could rescue it, I gave up and decided to cut it up to use for the yoke piece in this top. I used my offcuts for the yoke outers and the salvaged pieces for the yoke inners.
After much deliberation over whether to choose white buttons or add a pop of colour (like I did with my Button Down Back Top) I went for white. This was a safe option but I thought it would give me more options for pairing this top with different trousers/skirts. You’ll also notice mine aren’t actually buttons, I decided to use plastic poppers (which actually work better with the viscose).
This is a really quick top to construct and the instructions are really well written. It was an interesting way to sew the back and front pieces (probably not how I would have approached it if I had no instructions) but as a result, I’ve learnt another way to attach the yokes. The only thing I struggled with slightly was the instruction to ‘pull down/forward’ the shoulders before sewing – I did what I thought was right and it worked.
So there you have it, the finished top (as modelled as I was leaving for Day Two of the Sewing Weekender!) Wonderfully easy to pull on and off (definitely one you’re not contorting you head in weird directions to take it off so you don’t wipe half your make up off on the neck) and with some beautiful little details – from the crispness of the collar, to the button detail at the back; the darting on the bottom bodice pieces which fits it perfectly to you to the self bound edge finishes the garment off (this could be a whole post on its own.. maybe I might!)